Sunday, November 30, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving from Pure Golden! :-)

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!! :-). Hope you all have a lovely day!!

Now, Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday, admittedly.  That goes to Christmas (only 4 weeks to go!). But I do love Thanksgiving.  Plus it gives me an excuse to stuff my face without looking like too much of a pig (oink!). I do like to eat.  Lest you get an image of me actually overeating, let me assure you I don't.  It's more the sort of thing like Ethel is always getting teased about on I Love Lucy.  Hey, food is yummy, you know? ;-). And my favorite is pumpkin pie.  Now before all of us go be pigs this afternoon, let me share some Old Hollywood Thanksgiving pictures with you!!  Hope you enjoy!!


Debbie Reynolds publicity photo


Ginger Rogers in the Macy's Parade, 1958


Shirley Temple publicity photo



Vera Ellen publicity photo


Judy Garland publicity photo



And I'm going to close this post with Elizabeth Taylor's recipe for apple tart, copied from her website, elizabethtaylor.com. All credit belongs to elizabethtaylor.com. Enjoy!!!!!!

Elizabeth Taylor’s Apple Tart (4 servings)
For the pastry:
1 scant cup whole-meal flour
1 scant cup plain flour
½ cup low-cal margarine
Pinch salt substitute or salt
2 egg whites
Water
For the filling:
2 large green apples
2 apricots
1 teaspoon raisins
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ packet artificial sweetener
3tablespoons low-cal apricot preserves (for glaze)
Combine flours, margarine and salt, and mix in food processor to consistency of fine breadcrumbs. Add egg whites and water to make a firm dough. (Dough should not be too moist; though drier dough is more difficult to work with, it produces flakier, more tender pastry.) Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
In the meantime peal, quarter, core and thinly slice apples. Halve apricots, remove pits from them and slice them.
Rollout pastry, fit into an 8-inch tart plate. Trim away excess with a knife. Bake for 10 minutes at 190° F.Remove from oven and place raisins, apple and apricot slices in pastry,arranging top layers and neatly overlapping circles. Dust with cinnamon,allspice, cloves, artificial sweetener. Return to oven for 20 minutes, brush top with apricot preserves and bake another 5 minutes.

No comments: